Agape Guitars

Can progress without pics rightly bear the name progress?

not picsRich Chaffins1 Comment

I have to wonder this, after the 1.6 bajillion comments I've seen on various forums, mostly guitar-related, that say "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!!" or some variant thereupon. Well, due most likely to either A) Wesley, our 4-year-old lover of all things techy, or B) my complete lack of ability to remember where I put anything ever, I have no pics to share today. Ah, but there is progress! Read on, dear friends.

This work day started around 8:40AM and just ended a little after 10PM (as an aside, isn't blogging about my building of stringed things work, too, as it is shameless self-promotion? Thoughts?). After checking out the venue for my band's gig Friday night, going over details for our gig Thursday, and then writing out the set list for the Friday show, I began what is one of my favorite parts of the process: ordering parts. :) Got lots of stuff. Mostly for my latest commission, which I'll blog about shortly, but also a few odds and ends for Ben's bass and Alec's Revelator. I just love the anticipation of the arrival of parts/gear, the excitement when the postman or UPS knocks, the unpacking and inspecting...just love all of it.

Now, here's a listing of the stuff I did today that you don't get to see pics of just yet.

  • Ben's bass: My good friends at The Sign Factory finished up my bass templates yesterday, so after picking it up I dug right in and got the swamp ash body rough cut. Today, I attached the body template o' doom and routed the body shape out. And was amazed at the size of the body. It's probably because I've never seen a Tele style bass body in person, and this one is larger than those anyway, but it seemed HUGE to me who has only ever played the guitar version. Also, that is the heaviest chunk of swamp ash I've ever laid router to. For a guess I'd say the body is in the 7-8 pound range, with no hardware on (and no routing done, to be fair). Ben, if you're reading, good buddy, we may want to think about chambering this beast. In the next couple days with this one I'll have to make a router sled and chop off the top 1/4" to make room for the killer spalted maple top we're gonna put on there. It's gonna be vicious when it's done. :)
  • Alec's Revelator: As a public service announcement, I have to tell you that ValSpar Clear Flat acrylic SUCKS for finishing. Tried spraying this supposedly clear stuff on Sunday, and it is a pebbly, cloudy mess. No mas, no mas. Scored some MinWax semi-gloss poly today, and went about stripping off the old junk. Went a bit farther than I wanted (ah, the joy of power tools) and ended up removing some of the color that I had put on. This inspired me to just sand most of it back and start over. If nothing else, the grain lines on the ash would be more pronounced. Gotta tell you, though...when I first did the burst, I got two coats of the dye on and it looked gorgeous: still some of the redder grain showing through for a nice uneven, distressed look that just tugged on my whiskers (that's a good thing). However, I went on dyeing it cuz red wasn't in the original equation.

    It reappeared tonight as I was doing the dye process, and I couldn't go any further. So hot! Ack! So, after letting it dry, I shot the first coat of poly on. It's looking nice, ladies and gentlemen. Nice indeed. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

  • Other guitar stuff I did today: Finished set up on a student's American Strat. Telling you how jacked up he had it would take longer than I want to write, so let's just say it took a while, but it's all better now. Also, brought my good friend Frank's Mexican Tele in for part 2 of its overhaul. I had worked on it a few months ago (new nut, locking tuners, tightening up the neck pocket, stripping the neck and oiling it), and it plays really well now. He decided to pimp the look and the electronics, as well. This guy is just nuts about the mighty Brad Paisley, so he purchased a cream paisley pickguard and also the Paisley signature APC pickups. Fitted the pickguard (which took more finagling that I had anticipated) and installed the pickups. I don't have a full tone report on them as of yet, but I restrung the old A string I had taken off and hooked it up to the little practice amp in my shop....dang. Some of it might have been the sheer length of the day, but man, that A string sounded beautiful. Can't wait to string it up and hear it through my Bogner. Will report back afterwards.

    Well, stick a fork in me. I'm done. Bed awaits. 'Til next time. Maybe by then I'll have found the stupid camera.